Breast pain is a frequent complaint heard by doctors. Reportedly, women complaining about it are overly busy, doing many things in little time. Like all pain, breast pain is holistic. It affects the body, emotions, mind, and spirit. Through pain we are given the opportunity to harmonize our lives before something more serious comes along with a louder message.
According to ancient Traditional Chinese Medicine, pain indicates stagnation which can lead to disease. Stagnation can occur when the normal flow of fluid, including blood and lymph, slows down and becomes sluggish. Given the high rates of breast cancer, it makes sense to get plenty of movement through the breast tissue. Prevent clothing and bras from restricting your natural circulation. Yoga, massage, qi gong, and other body movement can enhance circulation and decrease breast pain.
When we listen to the messages pain carries, we become wise, improve our lives, prevent future disease, and participate in doing something to feel better. Here are five things you can do to “listen” to breast pain the next time it speaks to you.
- Experiment with various food and beverage choices to reduce caffeine.
- Hormones gone wild can contribute to breast pain. I recommend working with a naturopath or holistic doctor to have your hormone levels tested. From there, you will be able to know what needs balancing.
- Wear properly fitted bras and avoid tight clothing which can compress your lymphatic system and cut off healthy circulation. A poorly-fitted bra or top leaves marks on your skin, indicating poor circulation.
- Process your emotions in healthy ways. Research indicates a strong link between emotions and breast dis-ease.
- Foster self-nurturance. If you were your own precious child, what would you do to help her feel safe, nourished, and comforted?